The year is 1907…100 years ago. Farming pioneers from many parts of the country have migrated and formed a colony in the Wasco area.
The earliest church in the Wasco, California area was founded in 1894 and belonged to the Congregational Conference of Southern California. It was organized by a group of the earliest settlers of the area at that time, concentrated in a district east of Famosa. These people first held worship services in the Robertson School building situated a mile north of Famosa. After a few years the congregation transferred to the Delta-Shamrock School Building situated five miles northeast of Wasco.
In 1904 the Shamrock and Delta school district consolidated and moved to Wasco and became the Wasco School. The school building was also the meeting place for the Congregational Church, the only church between Rosedale and Delano.
When Wasco Colony was founded in 1907, the Congregational Church was given the first plot of ground designated for a church. This was situated on 9th and F Streets. The church was incorporated on June 8, 1907 and the erection of a church building began immediately. Financing was secured through a grant loan, although most of the work was done by laymen. The first service was held in the new building on September 6, 1909.
The church grew steadily and in 1920 the lot for a new building on Seventh and Broadway was purchased. On February 1, 1931, the new church at the Broadway location was dedicated. Although this was the time of the Great Depression, the church debt on the building was cleared in 1941.
The church continued to serve the Wasco community from the Broadway facility until 2002, when the Congregational Church of Wasco merged with the First Baptist Church of Wasco and became Grace Community Church of Wasco. In May, 2002, the congregation moved to the facility at Seventh and Cedar where it remains today.